Nine Reasons Plastics Recycling is on the Rise
You’ve probably heard a lot about recycling plastics, but some of these facts may surprise you. Read below and discover nine reasons why plastics recycling is on the rise.
- When compared to alternatives, a new study finds that the environmental cost of using plastics is four times less than the costs of other materials.
- Producing plastic from used plastics saves 88% of energy compared to making plastic from raw materials.
- The number of recycling businesses have nearly tripled over the past few years, with over 1,700 businesses in operation today that now handle and reclaim post-consumer plastics.
- By using plastic packaging, American product manufacturers save enough energy every year to supply power to a city with 1 million homes for three and a half years.
- Since 1977, the 2-liter plastic soft drink bottle has decreased from weighing 68 grams to only 51 grams today, which is a 25% reduction per bottle. The savings is equivalent to over 206 million pounds of packaging each year!
- The 1-gallon milk jug now weighs 30% less than what it did twenty years ago.
- Approximately 80% of the U.S. population has access to a plastics recycling program.
- The number of companies that handle and reclaim post-consumer plastics has multiplied by more than six times since 1986.
- Improvements in energy efficiency achieved through the use of plastics in the past decade have saved more than 53 billion kilowatt hours of electricity, saving American consumers over $4 billion a year.